[ltp] Re: double checking Debian's 686-pae vs. -486 probe

Goswin von Brederlow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 May 2011 05:27:25 +0200

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> RC> Why not just install the other kernel and try booting it?
> Maybe it will lead to subtle data loss. You never know. That's why I was
> hoping to dig out of the .debs just how they determine which Thinkpads
> are hip, and which to skip.

No. The kernels check the cpu features on boot. They either work or not.

As for your initial question: Depending on how you install the
installer has different sets of kernels to choose from. Due to space not
all kernels are on all images so sometimes you get the fallback option
because the right one simply isn't available.

Also try the -amd64 kernel. If supported that is generally preferable to
686-pae.

MfG
        Goswin