[ltp] Re: double checking Debian's 686-pae vs. -486 probe

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 May 2011 15:48:49 +1200

On 24/05/11 12:37, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2011, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>> But my Thinkpad isn't really very old... how can one double check to see
>> if the decision was correct? I can't figure it out even after probing
>> the .debs to find just where they probe the choice.
> Why not just install the other kernel and try booting it?
That is "proof by lack of a counter-example".  That nothing catastrophic
happens right away doesn't show the choice is a good one.

64 bit Debian installed fine and booted on my Core2Duo tablet - the one
with the 32 bit Intel glue chipset - but it still showed random
corruptions later that week.

Knowing is different.  Folklore is sometimes a way to avoid the effort
of learning more.

Cheers,
Bret