[ltp] eSATA controller Express Card in ThinkPad T520 not working

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 May 2011 08:53:11 +0200

--nextPart1654788.7x3oUjJhEO

Am Dienstag, 24. Mai 2011 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Hi!
>=20
> I bought a flat Delock eSATA controller Express Card in order to equip
> my ThinkPad T520 with what should have been there as standard in the
> first place[1] - an eSATA port than I can leave permanently installed.
>=20
> Problem is: It is not recognized by the kernel in any way:
>=20
> - nothing in syslog
> - nothing in udevadm monitor
> - nothing in lspci -tvnn
>=20
> Whats up? Is it the card? Is it the Express Card slot? Is it the kernel
> not knowing how to access the Express Card slot? Anyone with a T520,
> please try to insert an Express Card and report here whether it works.
>=20
> I am pretty sure that the Express Card had contact with the slot
> socket. It got a bit warm after a while and it made a click when
> inserting it. Also I tried several times.
>=20
> I wondered whether the right Silicon Image driver is missing, but the
> product page at Delock mentions Linux 2.6 as supported and I believe
> whether a suitable module is there or not, udevadm monitor should at
> least report a kernel event. Anyhow Delock support has confirmed that
> the card works with a stock 2.6 kernel without any externally compiled
> drivers.
>=20
> Is there anyway how I can check that the Linux kernel actually sees the
> Express Card slot?

I had the idea verifying whether pcmciautils are installed. They are:

merkaba:~> apt-show-versions pcmciautils
pcmciautils/sid uptodate 018-1

And I can=B4t get them do or output anything useful when the card is=20
installed:

merkaba:~> lspcmcia=20
merkaba:~> pccardctl=20
pcmciautils 018
Copyright (C) 2004-2005 Dominik Brodowski, (C) 1999 David A. Hinds
Report errors and bugs to <linux-pcmcia@lists.infradead.org>,please.
invalid or unknown argument
Usage: pccardctl COMMAND
Supported commands are:
        ls
        insert
        eject
        suspend
        resume
        reset
        info
        status
        config
        ident
merkaba:~#234> pccardctl ls
merkaba:~> pccardctl status
merkaba:~> pccardctl info =20
merkaba:~> pccardctl config
merkaba:~> pccardctl ident=20
merkaba:~> pccardctl eject
merkaba:~> pccardctl reset
merkaba:~> pccardctl resume
merkaba:~> pccardctl resume
merkaba:~> pccardctl info
merkaba:~>

Shouldn=B4t at least one of those commands output *anything* even when that=
=20
ExpressCard is not detected properly? I thought it might at least display=20
that there is an empty ExpressCard slot. So is Linux not recognizing the=20
slot at all?

merkaba:~> apt-show-versions udev      =20
udev/sid uptodate 170-1

=2D-=20