[ltp] T520 memory upgrade

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 27 May 2011 22:01:16 +0000

Folks,

     Following various advice, I ordered the stock thinkpad with just
the stock 2GB of memory, planning for an aftermarket upgrade from
mushkin.  Lenovo's site said a max of 8GB.

     I opened the thinkpad and it looks like the easily-accessible
memory hatch, while covering a large enough area for two DIMMS, really
only has a single DIMM slot underneath.  Poking around on the
interwebs, I found a lenovo support page that sort of implies that the
second DIMM must be accessed by prying up the keyboard.

     Does this mean that I need to order two 4GB DIMMs, install one
via the access panel on the bottom and one via removing the keyboard?

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com / (412) 401-8060 cell