[ltp] T520 memory upgrade

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 29 May 2011 14:57:55 -0400

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 22:01 +0000, Steven J. Owens wrote:
> Folks,
>
>      Following various advice, I ordered the stock thinkpad with just
> the stock 2GB of memory, planning for an aftermarket upgrade from
> mushkin.  Lenovo's site said a max of 8GB.
>
>      I opened the thinkpad and it looks like the easily-accessible
> memory hatch, while covering a large enough area for two DIMMS, really
> only has a single DIMM slot underneath.  Poking around on the
> interwebs, I found a lenovo support page that sort of implies that the
> second DIMM must be accessed by prying up the keyboard.
>
>      Does this mean that I need to order two 4GB DIMMs, install one
> via the access panel on the bottom and one via removing the keyboard?

Yes.

The T520 only has two DIMM slots.  The W520 has more though, and since
they share pretty much the same mechanical design the T520 has that
blank space that you noticed.

The second DIMM slot can be accessed by removing the keyboard FRU and
pulling up a little plastic shield.  It's pretty easy to do and just
takes a couple minutes with a small screwdriver.

Cheers,
Rob