[ltp] Re: Upgrading the BIOS of my X201s

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 May 2011 16:11:39 -0400

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 20:47 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Basically what I'd do:
> >
> > * grab the iso
> > * grab a fresh usb key, add a new linux partition, make it
> > bootable/active, format it as ext2
> > * mount it in /media/bios
> > * mkdir /media/bios/extlinux
> > * extlinux -i /media/bios/extlinux
> > * mv x201s.iso /media/bios/
> >
> > Then edit /media/bios/extlinux/extlinux.conf and use something like:
> >
> > label bios
> >   linux memdisk
> >   append iso
> >   initrd /x201s.iso
> >
> > then boot using that key, at the prompt type bios and it should work
> > (tm).
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the USB key doesn't really add anything
> useful here, does it?  You might as well boot memdisk directly from your
> harddrive.

No, no -- you're quite right.  You can skip the USB key and use memdisk
to boot the image directly from your drive.  I've done that with an X61s
and it worked like a charm.

Cheers,
Rob