[ltp] How safe is ubuntu 11.10?

Rubin Abdi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 05 Nov 2011 16:52:34 -0700

--------------enig7983FD353E035204F4430689

Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote, On 2011-11-05 15:53:
> The advice I heard from others is do not upgrade to 11.10, do a clean i=
nstall.

Rant:

I don't understand how this is an acceptable thing in the Linux world
now. I know friends who have config files sitting in /etc from well
before I learned that there was more out there than Windows. One of the
reasons I switched back to Linux on the desktop from OSX is the specific
feature of not needing to blow my entire setup away in the pursuit of
upgrades and updates for new shiny things. As much as it sucks being
that weirdo within my *nix circle of friends not running Ubuntu, as
least I don't have to act like I'm doing a Windows upgrade every 6
months and figure out if all the hassle will be worth it for device
compatibility and what not.

My $0.02.

--=20
Rubin