[ltp] How safe is ubuntu 11.10?

Petter Hansen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:39:30 +0100

Den 04. nov. 2011 15:56, skrev Steven J. Owens:
> Folks,
>
>       I have a thinkpad t520 with nvidia/optimus, Intel Core i7-2720QM
> Processor (2.20GHz, 6MB L3), 8 gigs of memory and all the trimmings.
>
>       I've been running ubuntu 10.4 LTS because I found the main ubuntu
> release to be a pain - too frequently the dist-upgrades caused odd
> hardware problems.  Nobody mentioned the problems _before_ I upgraded,
> but after I ran into them and did a lot of googling, I'd eventually
> find that they afflicted other thinkpad owners.
>
>       However, for various reasons I need to upgrade to a more recent
> release.  For once, I'd like to find out - *before* I jump out the
> window - about hardware gotchas.  Anybody know how to check for this?
>
>       I'm also considering upgrading to 11.4, instead of 11.10, because
> I've observed in the past that the hardware issues I mention above
> tend to take a few months to get sorted out...

Hello.
I have probably the same machine 4243-3UG + (total 8 gig ram, Intel 320
ssd) I first tried to install Ubuntu 11.10, but then it used so much
power that the life of the battery was only 3.5 - 4 hours, but
everything functioned without tweak anything. I also use only Intel
graphics, so do not know how it will be with Nvidia graphics.

Now I use 11.04 with Intel graphics, and everything works out of the
box. 3G works well and battery life is now 7-8 hours. Idle power
consumption is now only 8-10 watts

--
Petter Hansen
Romerike Linux User Group