[ltp] How safe is ubuntu 11.10?

Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:38:03 +0000

>       That's why I was running ubuntu 10.4 LTS, it has a much longer
> release cycle and support window.  Unfortunately, it came time to
> upgrade from my thinkpad t43p to the t520, and I apparently
> leapfrogged ahead of the kernel/hardware support in LTS.
>
>       I ran into problems with suspend-to-ram not working and wired
> ethernet not working.  I think I wrangled the latter out here and the
> general consensus was that my kernel was just too danged old.

It is quite simple to simply install the backported kernel packages
from, say Natty, onto a Lucid base. I did this myself to solve
wifi/ethernet driver issues for a customer.

It may not fix your problem, but it's simple to give it a try, and as
long as you don't uninstall your existing kernel, you won't do anything
irrevocable.

HTH,

Richard