[ltp] how to protect rescue partition before/when dualbooting?

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:18:59 -0500

Tom Roche wrote:
> summary: W510 shipped with Vista, vendor upgraded to W7, to be dualbooted. How to preserve the rescue partition, or at least its functionality, JIC something goes wrong?

There should be a utility included to create a set of "Factory Recovery
Disks".  Failing that, I suppose you could just use dd to make a copy of
the recovery partition.  Also, don't worry about Linux clobbering that
partition.  Just shrink the Windows partition, using the included
(optional) Disk Management utility.  If it's not included on your
system, you'll have to use a Linux or 3rd party utility to shrink the
partition.

BTW, I installed openSUSE 12.1 on my ThinkPad Edge E520 that I bought
last month.  It works well.