[ltp] Re: how to protect rescue partition before/when dualbooting?

Jeffrey L. Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Nov 2011 21:28:00 -0600

Quoting Richard Neill <rn214@richardneill.org>:

> On 30/11/11 02:25, Tom Roche wrote:
> >
> >Tom Roche Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:01:06 -0500
> >

> For what it's worth, I wouldn't do it this way. If you ever need to
> use the rescue partition, it will completely obliterate your
> existing installation, your data, and your Linux partition,
> restoring it to exactly as it left the factory. So, imho, the
> recovery partitions are useless and I just delete them.
>
> If you ever want to reinstall Windows, I think you're entitled to
> ask the vendor to ship you a proper OEM Windows installation CD,
> which will be better than the recovery partition. [This was the case
> last time I checked, though that was several years back.]

My experience with earlier versions (circa a T41) is that the recovery
partition will replace the first partition.  The CDs of the same vintage
replaced the contents of the whole harddisk.  YMMV, check before doing
something drastic.

Jeffrey