[ltp] OT: broken mail server setup for linux-thinkpad mailing list

Wed, 5 Oct 2011 22:08:26 -0300

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011, Travis Biehn wrote:
> This is fantastically bad :(

Kindly refrain from top-posting.  In fact, don't blind-quote the entire
message instead of properly trimming it either: that is even more
annoying than top-posting.

Anyway, no, it is not fantastically bad, at least not to anyone but Mr.
Steigerwald.  If my systems were rejecting perfectly valid email I
wanted to receive, I'd certainly consider it to be "fantastically
bad"...

> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>wrote:
> > thinkpad. - helo: .parabel.matrix. - helo-domain: .matrix.)  FROM/
> > MX_MATCHES_NOT_HELO(DOMAIN)=2.062 CLIENT_NOT_MX/A_FROM_DOMAIN=5.75
> > CLIENT/24_NOT_MX/A_FROM_DOMAIN=5.75; <client=89.106.220.16> <helo=p
> > arabel.matrix.de> <from=linux@linux-thinkpad.org>

Let's have a look at the outgoing relay of this ML, shall we?

parabel.matrix.de has address 89.106.220.16, and you receive the mail from
89.106.220.16 which claimed an ehlo=parabel.matrix.de.  This is well there
in the "paradise land" of EHLOs: it is a valid fqdn that maps to the public
IP of the sending relay!

Furthermore, the PTR record of 89.106.220.16 maps to something that maps
back to 89.106.220.16.  So, it is a *perfectly well configured host*,
which _has_ a canonical name, and said canonical name properly resolves
to the same host.

89.106.220.16 also has a pristine reputation, and it is not on any RBLs,
not even the more ridiculous ones like the level-2 and level-3
UCEPROTECT.

This ML has a very good and well behaved sending relay.  If your setup
is rejecting mail from it, and you actually intended it to just filter
out spam with a very low false positive ratio, rest assured that your
setup has big problems.

If you didn't lose a lot more good email than just those from this ML
(which you can get from the archives), consider yourself very lucky.

  Henrique Holschuh