[ltp] No eth0 on T520, Ubuntu 10.4 LTS

Sat, 08 Oct 2011 21:18:09 +0100

On 08/10/11 20:59, Steven J. Owens wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>       I need to use my t520's wired network (to configure a new
> router/AP) but I'm not seeing eth0 show up at _all_.  I've tried
> everything I can think of i

Although it's a bit ugly, you can generally use the kernel packages from
a more recent distro with the LTS release. Userland and kernel are
sufficiently well delineated that this won't break anything, (excepting
binary blob drivers that you may have installed). Search for a PPA
kernel backport for lucid.

I did this recently with some netbooks, whose network hardware under
lucid was awkward (the wifi needed a proprietary blob; the ethernet
needed a manual install of an out-of-tree, albeit GPL driver).

Using the natty kernel, both these problems were solved: 2 proper GPL
drivers now in kernel, everything just works :-)

Richard