[ltp] No eth0 on T520, Ubuntu 10.4 LTS

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 8 Oct 2011 23:14:53 +0000

Richard,

On Sat, Oct 08, 2011 at 09:18:09PM +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
> On 08/10/11 20:59, Steven J. Owens wrote:
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >      I need to use my t520's wired network (to configure a new
> >router/AP) but I'm not seeing eth0 show up at _all_.  I've tried
> >everything I can think of i
>
> Although it's a bit ugly, you can generally use the kernel packages
> from a more recent distro with the LTS release. Userland and kernel
> are sufficiently well delineated that this won't break anything,
> (excepting binary blob drivers that you may have installed). Search
> for a PPA kernel backport for lucid.
>
> I did this recently with some netbooks, whose network hardware under
> lucid was awkward (the wifi needed a proprietary blob; the ethernet
> needed a manual install of an out-of-tree, albeit GPL driver).
>
> Using the natty kernel, both these problems were solved: 2 proper
> GPL drivers now in kernel, everything just works :-)

     Bah humbug :-).  Every time I do a major upgrade, things break
and I often ultimately end up backing up, reformatting and installing
from scratch.  That's why I was sticking with LTS, hoping to get off
that treadmill.

     How fraught with peril is this approach?  I seem to have a nack
for hitting the potholes on the information superhighway.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com / (412) 401-8060 cell