[ltp] T42 fglrx driver with debian squeeze

Florian Reitmeir linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Oct 2011 15:31:09 +0200

Hi,

On 10/14/2011 11:35 AM, David Griffith wrote:
> Does anyone here have a rundown on how to get an fglrx driver installed
> on a T42 running Debian Squeeze such that my video interface (Radeon
> 9600) is supported.  The one I get when I follow
> http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary doesn't seem to recognize the 9600.
this is an known problem for ati and nvidia, the binary drivers do not
support older chipsets.

did you try the new opensource driver included in squeeze? normally it
is enough to just delete the xorg.conf file and make sure the xorg
radeon drivers are installed.

i know its not an good advise to use testing/unstable, but in current
debian testing/unstable the support for ATI with opensource driver got
really good.

--
Florian Reitmeir
E-Mail: florian@reitmeir.org