[ltp] T42 fglrx driver with debian squeeze

David Griffith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 14 Oct 2011 13:38:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011, Florian Reitmeir wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/14/2011 11:35 AM, David Griffith wrote:
>> Does anyone here have a rundown on how to get an fglrx driver installed
>> on a T42 running Debian Squeeze such that my video interface (Radeon
>> 9600) is supported.  The one I get when I follow
>> http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary doesn't seem to recognize the 9600.
>
> this is an known problem for ati and nvidia, the binary drivers do not
> support older chipsets.
>
> did you try the new opensource driver included in squeeze? normally it
> is enough to just delete the xorg.conf file and make sure the xorg
> radeon drivers are installed.
>
> i know its not an good advise to use testing/unstable, but in current
> debian testing/unstable the support for ATI with opensource driver got
> really good.

I'm currently using the open source driver.  I just want the speed I had
before I upgraded to Squeeze.  I was hoping to figure out some way to get
the old binary driver installed.  If that's not doable, how can I get this
latest open source driver without shifting my entire machine to testing or
unstable?

--
David Griffith
dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu