[ltp] Thinkpad power adapters and less than 100V mains

Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:30:23 +0100

 > Does it damage a Thinkpad power adapter to use the laptop plugged in
 > when the electricity supply is potentially less than 100V?

Personally, I think you're unlikely to damage the supply, but may force
it into thermal shutdown; you may wish to try to reduce your laptop's
current draw at this point.

IBM used to make AC/DC supplies that could run off either a 110/240V AC
line or off a 12 cigarette-lighter socket. You can still get these on
eBay; I'd imagine that internal electronics of these is rather more
over-specced.

Best wishes,

Richard

BTW, I wouldn't necessarily blame the manufacturers for shipping
lower-wattage supplies: as the machines get more energy-efficient, they
just need less power, and a lower-wattage supply weighs less.