[ltp] Thinkpad power adapters and less than 100V mains

Jason Brooks linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:00:03 -0700

I think they should send the best. It is the cheapest thing in the
whole rig usually. But it is my opinion. My advice: Get a good supply
with a high amp rating. For unstable power situations get a UPS they
are designed for brownouts which are low current issues.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 7:30 AM, Richard Neill <rn214@richardneill.org> wro=
te:
> [...]
>> You could cause problems for the power supply because it will be
>> working harder. The constant charge and surge that the capacitors will
>> go through in a low power situation would shorten the life of them.
>> Normally this wouldn't be a issue since they charge and stay charged
>> in a full power situation. =C2=A0Is this why your power supply is acting
>> flaky? Maybe but more than likely it is from every day use. All
>> manufactures are cutting back and bundling the lowest wattage power
>> supply they can. They don't last. I had a HP power supply that was 90W
>> for about a year... then it was 70 watt... =C2=A0Replaced it with a APC
>> power supply and have not had a problem since. I would suggest the
>> same to you.
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 6:54 PM, Damon Lynch<damonlynch@gmail.com> =C2=
=A0wrote:

>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Does it damage a Thinkpad power adapter to use the laptop plugged in wh=
en
>>> the electricity supply is potentially less than 100V?
>>>
>>> This past summer I used my T400s in such a situation. The laptop was
>>> sometimes doing computationally intensive work. The power supply became
>>> quite a bit hotter than it normally does. In fact sometimes it was very
>>> hot
>>> indeed. I don't know if this damaged it or not. All I do know is that
>>> when I
>>> now use my T400s for computationally intensive work for extended period=
s,
>>> if
>>> I use that same power supply, the laptop can shut down without warning.
>>> If I
>>> use another power adapter (which I did not use in that kind of low
>>> voltage
>>> situation), it never shuts down.
>>>
>>> Perhaps the answer is "Why yes of course, you have damaged the power
>>> supply.
>>> Never run on less than 100V." However I believe the power adapter simpl=
>>> might be a bit dodgy, as the laptop would occasionally shut down withou=
>>> warning even before I used it when the mains was less than 100V . It
>>> didn't
>>> do it a lot, but it did sometimes. The only difference is that it does =
it
>>> far more regularly now.
>>>
>>> A related question: if I am in a situation where the mains supply is le=
ss
>>> than 100V and I'm running the laptop off it with the battery present
>>> (which
>>> might be charging), does it make any difference if I am using lower pow=
er
>>> Thinkpad like a T400s as compared to say a W520? Furthermore, if using
>>> the
>>> laptop when the laptop is powered on actually is bad, is it still
>>> perfectly
>>> ok to charge the laptop battery from a low-voltage mains when the lapto=
>>> is