[ltp] Replacement/custom keys?

Mon, 17 Oct 2011 23:21:37 +0100

On 17/10/11 23:12, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> Extremely off topic, but I imagine others on this list might have
> searched for this information before.
>
> So I bought an X220 without Windows...
>
> https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=thinkpad+dos

Well done. Was it any cheaper that way?

> Or, has anyone tried removing the dye/silkscreen off of keys without
> horrible destroying the texture of the key?

It's pretty easy to swap the key-tops around, and you can buy a spare
keyboard for $20 or so on eBay, to have some spares to experiment with.
I should guess that a very small amount of acetone, applied carefully
with a paintbrush might do it (acetone melts plastic). Otherwise, try
some really fine-grit sandpaper, wrapped around a finger-tip.

Richard