[ltp] T61 system board (42w7872)

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Oct 2011 01:29:19 +0200

On 10/25/2011 05:12 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> Basically it seems the only solution might be to change the system
> board, but it seems pretty rare as it's the 42w7872, not the 42w7648
> which is a bit older and can only support Penryn cpus while the other
> can support Penrym and Merom. The CPU on this box is T7500 which is
> Penryn, so it should be ok to use 42w7648 in last measure (is it true?)

In fact, the mainboard FRU 42W7648 refers to the first generation T61
board, which only supports Merom CPU's out of the box. The newer
generation mainboard FRU 42W7872 supports Penryn CPU's, but is still
perfectly backwards compatible with any Merom CPU. Your T7500 is a Merom
CPU, so you should be fine with either mainboard generation.

Nonetheless, it is a wise choice to prefer a Penryn capable FRU 42W7872
mainboard, so that a future CPU upgrade to one of the nicer Penryn
options like the T9300 or even T9500 is possible without further ado.

There is a very nice table at http://thinkpad-wiki.org/T61 listing all
possible T61 mainboard options.

> Anyway, if someone has a 42w7872 to sell, I might be interested
> depending on price and shipment.

Since used T61's have become quite cheap on eBay, i'd suggest investing
around 200,- EURO for any 4:3 14.1" T61 which comes with any Penryn CPU
(T8100/T8300/T9300/T9500), as it will most certainly contain a FRU
42W7872 mainboard, and then even some other reusable spare parts too.

Where are you located, BTW? Europe? USA? ???