[ltp] Less responsive input (blind typing) when running off battery

John Magolske linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 3 Sep 2011 13:52:10 -0700

Thanks everyone for your responses,

* John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> [110816 23:30]:
> I find that while running off battery & not plugged into AC there are
> frequent and regular "freezes" when typing. All of a sudden I'll find
> myself "blind-typing" for 3 seconds or before a backlog of characters
> bursts on the screen. I notice this in Vim...maybe other applications
> too but can't confirm it at the moment.

while I did find a Vim plugin that was causing a write to disk with
every key-press [1], further experience shows me that the "freezing"
behavior is not Vim specific. For example, when scrolling up through
an index in Mutt by pressing the up-arrow key, a given item will
occasionally remain selected for a few seconds before the selection
bar jumps up ahead by the amount it would have moved in that time had
it continued smoothly.

I'm finding this to be a serious usability issue, my laptop *must*
be plugged in to AC if I want to avoid this random freezing/hanging
behavior. I'm assuming it's a power-saving issue. Is there some BIOS
setting that could be affecting this? Or perhaps a different way of
mounting my hard-drive (currently "ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 01")
that would allow data to be buffered, avoiding waiting for it to spin
up before something can happen?

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.editors.vim/99570

TIA for any further suggestions,

John