[ltp] Those dumb forward/backward keys on X220

Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:39:04 +0100

On 22/09/11 16:01, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On jeu., 2011-09-22 at 08:49 +0300, Michael Livshin wrote:
>> Those two keys above Left and Right.
>>
>> Is there a way to disable them, preferably on the Xkb level or below?

Check with xev  (the X event viewer) what they do.

On my thinkpad, they are distinct keycodes, and can be killed off with
xbindkeys.

On my Ultranav thinkpad-style USB keyboard (used for the desktop pc),
these keys fake "Alt + left-arrow" and "Alt + right-arrow". This makes
them impossible to kill in software: I resort to lifting the keycap off
the keyboard, physically destroying the switch (the little rubber
springy thing can easily be pulled off) and replacing the keycaps - this
has the extra advantage that they sit slightly lower, making it easier
to press the real arrow keys.

Richard