[ltp] Re: Those dumb forward/backward keys on X220

Bjørn Mork linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Sep 2011 09:32:01 +0200

Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> writes:

> On jeu., 2011-09-22 at 18:32 +0300, Michael Livshin wrote:
>> > I usually bind them to next/prev desktop and I really like it :)
>>
>> That's a great idea too.  The question is, really, *how* does one do
>> such a thing on a modern distribution (which means: Xkb, no HAL, the
>> user's mind switches off by way of blowing a safety fuse after reading 2
>> paragraphs of any text involving the word "setxkbmap", user's Google fu
>> is otherwise apparently useless), as it looks like my mastery of xmodmap
>> (whatever is left thereof, anyway) is no longer relevant.
>>
>> It's a 2-line recipe, right?
>
> Sure:
>
> xfconf-query -c xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts -p /xfwm4/custom/XF86Back -n -t
> string -s prev_workspace_key
> xfconf-query -c xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts -p /xfwm4/custom/XF86Forward -n
> -t string -s next_workspace_key

Or for the weird geezers like me, still using WindowMaker, just put
something like this inside the {} in your ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WindowMaker:
  PrevWorkspaceKey = XF86Back;
  NextWorkspaceKey = XF86Forward;

or use the WindowMaker preferences tool...

Bjørn (just fishing to see if there are any other WindowMaker users out
there...)