[ltp] hibernate, X220, memory, ubuntu Maverick, and ssd

Clément Geiger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 16:15:29 +0200

--e89a8f646e756696e204bcc6f0c2

My advice on the hibernation problem would be to not hibernate, but rather
go into "deep sleep" mode : it works out of the box (at least on my
archlinux setup) and still lasts for very a very long time. Moreover, the
wake-up is instant.

Clement.

2012/4/3 philippe preux <philippe.preux@inria.fr>

> Dear all,
>
> I am running Ubuntu 10.10 on a Thinkpad x220 (mechanical hd if that
> matters). It works great, except a few things like it does not go to
> hibernation. I have a message "cannot suspend" when I close the lid, or
> when I try to hibernate.
> It shuts down and reboots cleanly.
> I wonder why. I read somewhere that the swap partition must be at least as
> large as the amount of main memory. Is this the reason why? Otherwise, any
> idea?
>
> Now, an other question: I just received an SSD disk to replace the
> mechanical one. I do not have any experience with SSDs. I wonder whether fs
> check matters with them, and if yes, about their frequency (currently I
> check my hd every 100 boots).
>
> Thanks for any help/comment,
>
> Philippe
>
> --

--e89a8f646e756696e204bcc6f0c2

My advice on the hibernation problem would be to not hibernate, but rather =
go into &quot;deep sleep&quot; mode : it works out of the box (at least on =
my archlinux setup) and still lasts for very a very long time. Moreover, th=
e wake-up is instant.<br>
n dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:philippe.preux@inria.fr">philippe.preux=
in:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Dear all,<br>
I am running Ubuntu 10.10 on a Thinkpad x220 (mechanical hd if that matters=
). It works great, except a few things like it does not go to hibernation. =
I have a message &quot;cannot suspend&quot; when I close the lid, or when I=
 try to hibernate.<br>

It shuts down and reboots cleanly.<br>
I wonder why. I read somewhere that the swap partition must be at least as =
large as the amount of main memory. Is this the reason why? Otherwise, any =
idea?<br>
Now, an other question: I just received an SSD disk to replace the mechanic=
al one. I do not have any experience with SSDs. I wonder whether fs check m=
atters with them, and if yes, about their frequency (currently I check my h=
d every 100 boots).<br>

Thanks for any help/comment,<br>
-- <br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>
d" target=3D"_blank">http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.<u></u>org/mailman/listi=

--e89a8f646e756696e204bcc6f0c2--