[ltp] Suspend thinkpad

Florian Reitmeir linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 06 Apr 2012 14:42:41 +0200

Hi,

first .. please learn how to quote,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style, what you are doing is Top
Posting, which is very hard to read..

On 04/06/2012 12:18 PM, Elliot Orwells wrote:
> I should've asked, how long does suspend go on a full battery for you?
hours, days, i did not measure it, normally my battery in normal working
load lasts about 10hrs, suspended a night is no problem, in my holidays
it lastest a week.

> Leaving the laptop suspended with 50% battery exhausted the battery
> during the night.  I guess some device is not being deactivated.  I
> researched and it appears gnome is doing "suspend to ram" or S3 in
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/states.txt, so only the
> RAM should be using the battery.

i use debian testing with gnome3, and i do not use any special hacking,
or scripting. some time ago i discovered the TLP which is doing a great
job in configuring the kernel correctly.

but i use a very long kernel commandline:
usbcore.autosuspend=5 snd_hda_intel.power_save=1
e1000e.SmartPowerDownEnable=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1
i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 pcie_aspm=force
intel_iommu=on quiet

and:

https://github.com/linrunner/TLP/wiki/TLP-Linux-Advanced-Power-Management

> Actually hibernate (or "suspend to disk") is working with this latest
> stable kernel. No testing is needed for battery, the computer is shut
> down.
>
> For people with problems: I found the reading of<kernel
> root>/Documentation/power/* priceless, while knowing that to gnome:
> suspend= invoking S3, hibernate=S4.

i do not use hibernating, simply because i encrypted my home and swap,
and since gnome3, gnome is not supporting hibernation to an encrypted swap.

greetings

--
Florian Reitmeir
E-Mail: florian@reitmeir.org