[ltp] top posting

Phil Shotton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 07 Apr 2012 15:34:08 +0100

On 07/04/12 02:32, David Griffith wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Apr 2012, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
>
>> On 04/06/2012 07:54 PM, Phil Shotton wrote:
>>> Isn't that exactly what you've done?
>>>
>>> Also, if you read the wikipedia page to which you refer you will find
>>> that top posting is the norm these days. I actually delete many ltp
>>> posts unread as bottom posting is just too much of a pain. Strangely
>>> this is the only forum I read on which top posting gets slammed.
>>> Perhaps
>>> people need to get out more.
>>
>> yeah i know, all microsoft type mail programms do it that way, never
>> the less, if you read a lot of mailing lists, its really hard to keep
>> track content of the posting without scrolling a lot to the old message.
>
> Top-posting is like taking a crap in your pants because that's where
> your arse was when you needed to go.

Bottom posting is like talking out of your arse because you can't be
bothered to engage your brain ;-)

The thing about bottom posting is that you have to scroll through huge
amounts of old context to get to the point, which, if it's a single
line, is easily missed. With top-posting you rarely need to read any of
the older previous context, just the last (which is at the top below the
response already). Much less scrolling with top posting, and much less
difficulty in finding the right information. That's why most people do
it that way.

Me, I don't care. It's just another flame war like where you put the {}
in code. What I don't like is when people get flamed for using one style
or another, as though there's only one right way to do it.