[ltp] [W510] decreasing power use, increasing battery life: screen and lid issues

Tue, 04 Dec 2012 01:44:17 +0000

On 04/12/12 01:37, Tom Roche wrote:

> Another major problem is, closing the lid does not (solely) turn off the
> screen: instead, it sleeps the box. This means I am sometimes forced to
> keep the lid up and screen on when not necessary. Note I have made the
> appropriate change in the gnome-power-manager UI, but the behavior of
> the box does not change.

I think this may be a BIOS setting. Otherwise, see if you can intercept
the ACPI event from the lid-close switch and change what it does.
Usually, there are some shell-scripts that control which Acpi event does
what.

IIRC, its:

Lid-close switch -> BIOS -> NVRAM -> ACPI -> Event detected -> Decide on
action -> Suspend (shell-script) -> Kernel -> ACPI -> BIOS -> sleep.

HTH,

Richard