[ltp] problems with slice battery & Ubuntu

Philipp Kern linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:36:32 +0100

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 01:03:45AM +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> What do the LEDs on the slice battery show?

Mine for instance doesn't have such a thing.

> The slice battery on my X220T broke after about 3 months, not because
> of the cells, but because of the controller refusing to charge it.
> Lenovo eventually sent me another one.

As another data point: My T420 slice battery broke after six months of
use. (Granted, it was manufactured in October 2011 and I bought it end
of June.)

Failure state was "Error detected" on Windows and all counters zero
on Linux. Lenovo replaced it without trouble.

However what was puzzling: The error happened so quickly that the
laptop turned off despite having a charged primary battery in it.
So you don't really have a UPS if one of the batteries break (i.e. no
redundancy.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s