[ltp] ssd for X220

Rubin Abdi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Dec 2012 00:29:30 -0800

------enig2WJPPWPNSNFHTHFOCFBBI

philippe preux wrote, On 2012-12-20 23:50:
> I have a 128 Gb ssd on my x220 (running Ubuntu if that matters). I'd
> like to upgrade it.
> Currently, I do not find anything larger than 512 Gb. Is that a fact?
> I see a 768 Gb for Macs and I wonder there is such a possibility for x2=
20.
> Anyone knows something about that?

Not really exactly what you're asking for, but have you thought about
going with a SSD mSATA and platter drive solution?

Currently in my X220 I'm running a 128GB mSATA SSD (I think they come in
256GB now) with root running of off it (for the most part), and a second
2.5" 1TB platter drive running as a sort of secondary home or media
storage. laptop-mode-tools has some config somewhere that'll shut the
drive down after 15 seconds of inactivity while running on battery power.=

The mSATA drive I grabbed off of https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/
about 1.5 years ago for around $230, I think prices are a little less
for twice as much now.

The platter drive is some Samsung thing. I had to sort of remove my
motherboard from inside the machine and wedge the thing in there without
the drive try to make it fit (kind of regretting it now).

Anyhow, Debian runs blindingly fast and I still have a boat load of
storage for music, videos, honey badgers, virtual machines, etc. Both
drives have full disk encryption.

--=20
Rubin
rubin@starset.net