[ltp] ssd for X220

Rubin Abdi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Dec 2012 13:09:10 -0800

------enig2SSMKEQQQVINITNTKJVRN

Theodore Ts'o wrote, On 2012-12-21 10:17:
> The trick is to make sure you use a 7mm hard drive.  I'm using a
> Hitachi Travelstar Z5K500, which is a 5400rpm, 500G drive, which is
> available for around $60.  The reason why I'm using the older 5400rpm
> drive is because I care more about battery lifetime than performance
> --- 80G is plenty of room for the stuff that requires low latency
> access, which in my case is my system binaries, my home directory, and
> my source trees.  I keep my A/V media files, build trees with the
> object files, and less frequently used bulk data on the 5400pm HDD.

There's also this list which isn't updated anymore, but I'm sure there's
info in the thread, somewhere...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/572243-list-drives-compatible-x220=
=2Ehtml

Some of the 9.5mm tricks include removing pieces of the drives, the
mother board wedge thing I spoke about, and dremeling out the "teeth"
that are at the entrance of the drive bay.

Pick a drive that has quiet and fast spin up, becuase that's the most
obnoxious thing about this setup.

--=20
Rubin
rubin@starset.net