[ltp] T520 Ubuntu 11.10 x64 - can't connect external monitor

Sat, 4 Feb 2012 16:01:48 +0200

--Yylu36WmvOXNoKYn

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 08:04:57PM -0500, Fen Labalme wrote:
> Hi Marius,
>=20
> 2012/2/3 Marius Gedminas <marius@gedmin.as>
>=20
> > On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 02:27:59PM -0500, Fen Labalme wrote:
> > > I have a new T520 that mostly works fine =96 I currently run nvidia (=
NVS
> > > 4200M) discrete graphics, have compiz 3d effects and colors look good.
> > > If I can't get this to work, I'm going to have to RMA my shiny new bo=
x :(

> > (If you end up doing that, get a machine with Intel graphics -- VGA hot=
plug
> > will just work.  DisplayPort... hm, no idea, don't have any of that.
> > Likely not yet.)
>=20
> This machine has Intel integrated graphics.

It has both, which complicates things. Perhaps if you disabled the
NVidia card in the BIOS, something would work?  I'm only guessing; I
don't have any machines more modern than a T61.

It's also a question of how the outputs are connected to the graphics
adapters; e.g. it's possible that DisplayPort is only driven by the
NVidia chip.

> Tried that first, and after it
> didn't work immediately I went searching for the nvidia driver.  But I'll
> 1920x1200 display?

Why not?  My Asus EeePC 900 (ancient Intel 945) drives a 1920x1080p TV
over VGA with sufficient 3D for all those Compiz effects.

Digital video would be much nicer, though.  The pixels would align, and
you would avoid analog noise.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Well, there's a quantum computer that can factor 15, so those of you using
4-bit RSA should worry.
        -- Bruce Schneier

--Yylu36WmvOXNoKYn

--Yylu36WmvOXNoKYn--