[ltp] confused about power managment with T520 with Debian with no DE

Sat, 4 Feb 2012 10:10:00 -0800

When I bought my Lenovo Thinkpad T520 a few months ago I started off by
using Debian with Gnome. Recently I switched to using a window manager
(currently i3) instead of Gnome, and often I just use the console.

Since I switched away from using a DE I have been confused as to which
power management tools I should use and how to use them, due to my
inexperience.

The only thing I really need is to enable sleep or suspend at intervals o=
on demand in order to conserve battery,

I downloaded pm-utils, but I don't know how to use them. I can't figure
out what/which tools are included- there's no manpage for "pm-utils" or
"pmutils" or "pm_utils", dpkg -s pm-utils doesn't provide the names of th=
tools included in the package, the Debian site doesn't list the package
contents...what am I missing here? Maybe pm-utils isn't the best option
anyway?

According to http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Standby_mode I should be able
to use Fn-F3 to enable standby on demand, but that doesn't work for me.
Anyone know how I can get that to work?

Because I originally had Gnome loaded and haven't removed it I may have
some Gnome power managment programs still lurking around- but I prefer to
remove them and use X tools instead.

Thanks,
Keith Ostertag