[ltp] Re: T520 Ubuntu 11.10 x64 - can't connect external monitor

Connor Behan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 04 Feb 2012 13:01:39 -0800

--------------080102070202060107090603

The standard way to do this on the fly that I'm used to uses a command
like "xrandr --output VGA1 --left-of LVDS1". To see exactly what the
names of your monitors are, look at the output of "xrandr -q". This
would be when either the nvidia card OR the intel card is in use and you
want it driving a second display.

To split the load between two cards I would make two "device" sections
(say Card0 and Card1) in xorg.conf each referring to a different card by
its PCI bus ID (from lspci). Then you'd make Screen0 and Screen1 tied to
Card0 and Card1 respectively. At this point you have a choice. You can
leave the cards on separate logical screens. This means you can't move
windows between then and you have to use Ctrl+Alt+Fn to switch which one
is active but 3D acceleration should work. If you want to give up 3D
acceleration to have a more traditional multi-monitor setup, enable
Xinerama and put something like

Screen 1 "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"

in your "ServerLayout" section. If your problem is that the BIOS or
something is refusing to engage the integrated and discrete cards at the
same time, I've heard of a program called bumblebee that can deal with
that but I don't know anything about it.

--
Sent from my Macbook Wheel
<http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-introduces-revolutionary-new-laptop-with-no,14299/>

--------------080102070202060107090603

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    The standard way to do this on the fly that I'm used to uses a
    command like "xrandr --output VGA1 --left-of LVDS1". To see exactly
    what the names of your monitors are, look at the output of "xrandr
    -q". This would be when either the nvidia card OR the intel card is
    in use and you want it driving a second display.<br>
    To split the load between two cards I would make two "device"
    sections (say Card0 and Card1) in xorg.conf each referring to a
    different card by its PCI bus ID (from lspci). Then you'd make
    Screen0 and Screen1 tied to Card0 and Card1 respectively. At this
    point you have a choice. You can leave the cards on separate logical
    screens. This means you can't move windows between then and you have
    to use Ctrl+Alt+Fn to switch which one is active but 3D acceleration
    should work. If you want to give up 3D acceleration to have a more
    traditional multi-monitor setup, enable Xinerama and put something
    like<br>
    Screen 1 "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"<br>
    in your "ServerLayout" section. If your problem is that the BIOS or
    something is refusing to engage the integrated and discrete cards at
    the same time, I've heard of a program called bumblebee that can
    deal with that but I don't know anything about it.<br>
      Sent from my <a
href="http://www.theonion.com/video/apple-introduces-revolutionary-new-laptop-with-no,14299/">Macbook
        Wheel</a></div>

--------------080102070202060107090603--