[ltp] Re: T520 Ubuntu 11.10 x64 - can't connect external monitor

Fen Labalme linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 5 Feb 2012 12:50:53 -0500

--20cf302efd5eec237a04b83b2fdf

Hi Connor -

Thanks for your reply.

You wrote:

> To split the load between two cards I would make two "device" sections
> (say Card0 and Card1) in xorg.conf each referring to a different card by
> its PCI bus ID (from lspci). Then you'd make Screen0 and Screen1 tied to
> Card0 and Card1 respectively. At this point you have a choice. You can
> leave the cards on separate logical screens. This means you can't move
> windows between then and you have to use Ctrl+Alt+Fn to switch which one is
> active but 3D acceleration should work. If you want to give up 3D
> acceleration to have a more traditional multi-monitor setup, enable
> Xinerama and put something like
>
> Screen 1 "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
>
> in your "ServerLayout" section. If your problem is that the BIOS or
> something is refusing to engage the integrated and discrete cards at the
> same time, I've heard of a program called bumblebee that can deal with that
> but I don't know anything about it.

That would be great and is what I will try next.  First step will be to
switch the BIOS back to Optimus and then see if I can configure the Intel
Integrated GPU for the laptop screen and the Nvidia card for the VGA
output.  (Is this what you were suggesting?)  Would this prevent e.g.,
Mirror Displays from working?  Maybe I could get the integrated GPU to
handle the laptop and the VGA out, and the Discrete Nvidia to support the
DisplayPort.  This would be ideal, as at hope (with external monitor
attached via DisplayPort) I don't need to mirror displays.

Do you think this sounds possible?  (I wonder if I'll need to load
Bumblebee for this...)

Thanks!
=Fen

--20cf302efd5eec237a04b83b2fdf

s=3D"gmail_quote">You wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"=
margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
ards I would make two &quot;device&quot;
    sections (say Card0 and Card1) in xorg.conf each referring to a
    different card by its PCI bus ID (from lspci). Then you&#39;d make
    Screen0 and Screen1 tied to Card0 and Card1 respectively. At this
    point you have a choice. You can leave the cards on separate logical
    screens. This means you can&#39;t move windows between then and you hav=
    to use Ctrl+Alt+Fn to switch which one is active but 3D acceleration
    should work. If you want to give up 3D acceleration to have a more
    traditional multi-monitor setup, enable Xinerama and put something
    like<br>
    Screen 1 &quot;Screen1&quot; LeftOf &quot;Screen0&quot;<br>
    in your &quot;ServerLayout&quot; section. If your problem is that the B=
IOS or
    something is refusing to engage the integrated and discrete cards at
    the same time, I&#39;ve heard of a program called bumblebee that can
    deal with that but I don&#39;t know anything about it.</div></blockquot=
irst step will be to switch the BIOS back to Optimus and then see if I can =
configure the Intel Integrated GPU for the laptop screen and the Nvidia car=
d for the VGA output. =A0(Is this what you were suggesting?) =A0Would this =
prevent e.g., Mirror Displays from working? =A0Maybe I could get the integr=
ated GPU to handle the laptop and the VGA out, and the Discrete Nvidia to s=
upport the DisplayPort. =A0This would be ideal, as at hope (with external m=
onitor attached via DisplayPort) I don&#39;t need to mirror displays.</div>

--20cf302efd5eec237a04b83b2fdf--