[ltp] Thinkpad W520, nouveau and external monitors

Fen Labalme linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:19:11 -0500

--20cf303f6c8617fab904b92b4e0a

I have a new T520 with integrated intel GPU (i7-2760) and Nvidia (NVS
4200M) discrete graphics.  It comes with Windows 7 and BIOS set to
"Optimus" that does smart switching between the two.  I'm running Ubuntu
11.10 with nouveau and have the BIOS set to "Integrated" that uses only the
Intel GPU (GNU/Linux does not yet natively support Optimus) and am able to
attach an external monitor via VGA seamlessly (I use compiz and get an
extended desktop - both Laptop and External monitor making one large
desktop).

The only issue I have is that my external monitor is larger than the VGA
can handle, so I have black stripes on the sides.  I'm hoping that I can
use Bumblebee <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee> to support
attaching the large external monitor to the DisplayPort and get full
resolution (this works under Windows 7) but am not yet sure if this will
work under GNU/Linux (see my as-yet-unanswered question at
http://askubuntu.com/questions/104857/can-t520bumblebee-run-an-external-monitor-via-displayport
).

But if you want only the external monitor (and not the laptop, too) I
suspect that you could handle larger monitors just fine, though I have not
tested this.

BTW: I tried the Nvidia proprietary blob from
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates and it seems to run
fine, too.  But like you, I'd rather stick with free and open source
software.

=Fen

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Marco Vittorini Orgeas <marco@mavitt.org>wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am in the middle of a pre-purchasing evaluation of some thinkpad models,
> in particular I am looking at w520 line and trying to understand if I will
> be able to easily attach an external monitor to the VGA output and
> configure it with the xrandr extension, all done using the free nouveau
> driver.
>
> Is there somebody who owns such a system and can report if such a
> configuration can be easily achieved?
> Note: I don't mind if the laptop monitor is off when I attached  the
> external one: that's because sometimes I am in a place where I can access
> some big LCD monitors and I'd like to work on those by connecting them to
> the laptop.
>
> I've done a bit  of research on the matter and it seems that w520 models
> are equipped with either a NVIDIA 1000m or 2000M coupled with an on-chip
> integrated intel GPU.
> The intel GPU is used to save on power consumption and seems to be
> connected *only* to the laptop LCD, so to have the VGA working the nvidia
> card has to be used instead (on windows this can be done automatically with
> the optimus nvidia extension but on linux this is not yet supported and it
> should be pre-selected in BIOS on boot which mode to use) see
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/**Installing_Debian_Wheezy_on_a_**
> ThinkPad_W520<http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Debian_Wheezy_on_a_ThinkPad_W520>and
> http://zachstechnotes.**blogspot.com/2012/01/tri-head-**
> display-on-linux-thinkpad-**w520.html<http://zachstechnotes.blogspot.com/2012/01/tri-head-display-on-linux-thinkpad-w520.html>.
>
> In conclusion, nouveau + nvidia 1000m/2000m + external VGA monitor: is
> this possible ?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
>                        Marco
> --

CivicActions.com
http://xri.net/=Fen.Labalme

--20cf303f6c8617fab904b92b4e0a

I have a new T520 with integrated intel GPU (i7-2760) and Nvidia (NVS 4200M=
) discrete graphics. =A0It comes with Windows 7 and BIOS set to &quot;Optim=
us&quot; that does smart switching between the two. =A0I&#39;m running Ubun=
tu 11.10 with nouveau and have the BIOS set to &quot;Integrated&quot; that =
uses only the Intel GPU (GNU/Linux does not yet natively support Optimus) a=
nd am able to attach an external monitor via VGA seamlessly (I use compiz a=
nd get an extended desktop - both Laptop and External monitor making one la=
rge desktop).<div>
than the VGA can handle, so I have black stripes on the sides. =A0I&#39;m h=
oping that I can use Bumblebee &lt;<a href=3D"https://wiki.archlinux.org/in=
dex.php/Bumblebee">https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee</a>&gt; t=
o support attaching the large external monitor to the DisplayPort and get f=
ull resolution (this works under Windows 7) but am not yet sure if this wil=
l work under GNU/Linux (see my as-yet-unanswered question at=A0<a href=3D"h=
ttp://askubuntu.com/questions/104857/can-t520bumblebee-run-an-external-moni=
tor-via-displayport">http://askubuntu.com/questions/104857/can-t520bumblebe=
e-run-an-external-monitor-via-displayport</a>).</div>
laptop, too) I suspect that you could handle larger monitors just fine, tho=
a proprietary blob from=A0<a href=3D"https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+=
archive/x-updates">https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates<=
/a> and it seems to run fine, too. =A0But like you, I&#39;d rather stick wi=
th free and open source software.</div>
 Feb 17, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Marco Vittorini Orgeas <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a h=
blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px=
 #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Hi list,<br>
I am in the middle of a pre-purchasing evaluation of some thinkpad models, =
in particular I am looking at w520 line and trying to understand if I will =
be able to easily attach an external monitor to the VGA output and configur=
e it with the xrandr extension, all done using the free nouveau driver.<br>

Is there somebody who owns such a system and can report if such a configura=
tion can be easily achieved?<br>
Note: I don&#39;t mind if the laptop monitor is off when I attached =A0the =
external one: that&#39;s because sometimes I am in a place where I can acce=
ss some big LCD monitors and I&#39;d like to work on those by connecting th=
em to the laptop.<br>

I&#39;ve done a bit =A0of research on the matter and it seems that w520 mod=
els are equipped with either a NVIDIA 1000m or 2000M coupled with an on-chi=
p integrated intel GPU.<br>
The intel GPU is used to save on power consumption and seems to be connecte=
d *only* to the laptop LCD, so to have the VGA working the nvidia card has =
to be used instead (on windows this can be done automatically with the opti=
mus nvidia extension but on linux this is not yet supported and it should b=
e pre-selected in BIOS on boot which mode to use) see <a href=3D"http://www=
.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Debian_Wheezy_on_a_ThinkPad_W520" target=3D"=
_blank">http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/<u></u>Installing_Debian_Wheezy_on_a_=
2012/01/tri-head-display-on-linux-thinkpad-w520.html" target=3D"_blank">htt=

In conclusion, nouveau + nvidia 1000m/2000m + external VGA monitor: is this=
 possible ?<br>
Thank you in advance,<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Marco<span class=3D"HOEnZb"=
-- <br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>
d" target=3D"_blank">http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.<u></u>org/mailman/listi=
r>CivicActions.com<br><a href=3D"http://xri.net/=3DFen.Labalme" target=3D"_=
blank">http://xri.net/=3DFen.Labalme</a><br>

--20cf303f6c8617fab904b92b4e0a--