[ltp] Thinkpad W520, nouveau and external monitors

Lally Singh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:50:18 -0500

--14dae93408ab2508df04b9a6f49f

I've got a w520 running Arch.  Discrete only on an Nvidia 2000m, using the
nvidia drivers.   It runs great for my needs (web browsing, emacs,
terminal, latex, and various compilers).

I've got a dock for it hooked to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Well, you can't run more than two monitors in TwinView.  I tried a few
times, but it just locks the whole box up.  So, I stuck with the laptop + 1
display config.  It actually works pretty well for me.

I've got everything working, including the gobi 3k.  It's nice, my only
issue is that the ssd (160gb) is small enough where I don't want to try to
set up hibernation, considering I'd have to dedicate 1/8th of my disk to it
:(  Still, the fucker's fast enough that I learn to deal.

My only complaints are (1) the weight, (2) the optical drive's button is
too easily triggered.  I'm looking at other ultrabay options *just* to get
rid of that.

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>wrote:

> Am Samstag, 18. Februar 2012 schrieb Micha:
> > I don't have a t520 so I don't know, but take note that there is a big
> > difference between an Intel only machine where the Intel can
> > definitely run the external monitor and an optimus machine where it
> > depends on how the manufacturer wired it. On the w520 the external
> > onboard connector are connected only to the nvidia (although I haven't
> > checked what happens in Intel only mode), but the docking station does
> > connect some of the connectors to the Intel. On the dell m4600, the
> > digital connectors (HDMI and display port) are connected to the nvidia
> > but the VGA is connected to the Intel.
>
> I bet I am just happy with my Intel only ThinkPad. Sounds a lot easier for
> me to understand. ;)
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
> GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA  B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7
> --

--14dae93408ab2508df04b9a6f49f

I&#39;ve got a w520 running Arch.=A0 Discrete only on an Nvidia 2000m, usin=
g the nvidia drivers.=A0=A0 It runs great for my needs (web browsing, emacs=
, terminal, latex, and various compilers). <br><br>I&#39;ve got a dock for =
it hooked to an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.<br>
a few times, but it just locks the whole box up.=A0 So, I stuck with the la=
ptop + 1 display config.=A0 It actually works pretty well for me.<br><br>I&=
#39;ve got everything working, including the gobi 3k.=A0 It&#39;s nice, my =
only issue is that the ssd (160gb) is small enough where I don&#39;t want t=
o try to set up hibernation, considering I&#39;d have to dedicate 1/8th of =
my disk to it :(=A0 Still, the fucker&#39;s fast enough that I learn to dea=
l.=A0 <br>
on is too easily triggered.=A0 I&#39;m looking at other ultrabay options *j=
2012 at 3:59 PM, Martin Steigerwald <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto=