[ltp] Best laptop for Linux

Phil Shotton linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 02 Jan 2012 21:01:43 +0000

I'm writing this on my trusty old T60p, brought out of retirement after
a 2-year switch to a Macbook Pro. I've recently trashed the Macbook and
need a replacement - I won't be going Mac again, even after 2 years I
find the idiosyncratic keyboard, the poor quality apps, and the lack of
openness to be a major headache.

So now I'm asking the ltp fraternity, what's the best Linux laptop at
the moment. I love my T60p, but it's old and slow. I need something that
has good CPU power and high-res screen (I develop software so need
compilation speed and screen clarity). I also want good Linux support
without messing around - the T60p has the Atheros wifi chipset which is
a pain, and I want good graphics without proprietary drivers.

Doesn't have to be a Thinkpad, but I'm impressed with the build quality
of the machines I've had in the past.

Must be light, powerful, good screen, preferably illuminated keyboard
(best thing about the Mac Pro), very Linux compatible, large ram, good
cpu, big disk, robust. I don't care about widescreen but nice to have if
everything else in place.

Thanks in advance for all your comments, and a Happy New Year to all.

Cheers
Phil