[ltp] Best laptop for Linux

Clément Geiger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 2 Jan 2012 22:22:26 +0100

--20cf3071c70ce64f5304b5922d3e

Hello,

I'm answering from my new x220. It globally meet all your requirement,
except for the backlit keyboard (but there is the thinklight, which I find
more handy - you can use it to read stuff) and the big screen (12",
1368x768 or something). But the screen is truly *awesome* (mat, ips, sharp
and everything) and you can always plug in an external monitor. Personnally
I was skeptic (I wanted 13" so badly) but in the end it's very good.

As for computational power, you can custom your order with a quad-core i7
and 8Go of ram, and you won't find another laptop that light (1.7 kg) and
that powerful (again, I tried :)

The battery life, now, is excellent on Windows and quite bad on Linux, out
of the box. After some tuning I have ~7h of battery (compare to 10+ on
windows :( ). With the 9 cells battery.

Otherwise, linux works perfectly out of the box. I run Archlinux and a
friend uses it with Ubuntu.

I forgot to mention the keyboard, maybe the other *awesome* point of the
laptop along with its screen.

I hope that helps !

Happy new year !

Cl=E9ment

2012/1/2 Phil Shotton <phil@stairbridge.org.uk>

> I'm writing this on my trusty old T60p, brought out of retirement after a
> 2-year switch to a Macbook Pro. I've recently trashed the Macbook and nee=
> a replacement - I won't be going Mac again, even after 2 years I find the
> idiosyncratic keyboard, the poor quality apps, and the lack of openness t=
> be a major headache.
>
> So now I'm asking the ltp fraternity, what's the best Linux laptop at the
> moment. I love my T60p, but it's old and slow. I need something that has
> good CPU power and high-res screen (I develop software so need compilatio=
> speed and screen clarity). I also want good Linux support without messing
> around - the T60p has the Atheros wifi chipset which is a pain, and I wan=
> good graphics without proprietary drivers.
>
> Doesn't have to be a Thinkpad, but I'm impressed with the build quality o=
> the machines I've had in the past.
>
> Must be light, powerful, good screen, preferably illuminated keyboard
> (best thing about the Mac Pro), very Linux compatible, large ram, good cp=
u,
> big disk, robust. I don't care about widescreen but nice to have if
> everything else in place.
>
> Thanks in advance for all your comments, and a Happy New Year to all.
>
> Cheers
> Phil
>

> --

--20cf3071c70ce64f5304b5922d3e

Hello,<br><br>I&#39;m answering from my new x220. It globally meet all your=
 requirement, except for the backlit keyboard (but there is the thinklight,=
 which I find more handy - you can use it to read stuff) and the big screen=
 (12&quot;, 1368x768 or something). But the screen is truly *awesome* (mat,=
 ips, sharp and everything) and you can always plug in an external monitor.=
 Personnally I was skeptic (I wanted 13&quot; so badly) but in the end it&#=
39;s very good.<br>
i7 and 8Go of ram, and you won&#39;t find another laptop that light (1.7 kg=
) and that powerful (again, I tried :)<br><br>The battery life, now, is exc=
ellent on Windows and quite bad on Linux, out of the box. After some tuning=
 I have ~7h of battery (compare to 10+ on windows :( ). With the 9 cells ba=
ttery.<br>
friend uses it with Ubuntu.<br><br>I forgot to mention the keyboard, maybe =
the other *awesome* point of the laptop along with its screen.<br><br>I hop=
e that helps ! <br>
2/1/2 Phil Shotton <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:phil@stairbridge=
il_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-lef=
t:1ex">
I&#39;m writing this on my trusty old T60p, brought out of retirement after=
 a 2-year switch to a Macbook Pro. I&#39;ve recently trashed the Macbook an=
d need a replacement - I won&#39;t be going Mac again, even after 2 years I=
 find the idiosyncratic keyboard, the poor quality apps, and the lack of op=
enness to be a major headache.<br>

So now I&#39;m asking the ltp fraternity, what&#39;s the best Linux laptop =
at the moment. I love my T60p, but it&#39;s old and slow. I need something =
that has good CPU power and high-res screen (I develop software so need com=
pilation speed and screen clarity). I also want good Linux support without =
messing around - the T60p has the Atheros wifi chipset which is a pain, and=
 I want good graphics without proprietary drivers.<br>

Doesn&#39;t have to be a Thinkpad, but I&#39;m impressed with the build qua=
lity of the machines I&#39;ve had in the past.<br>
Must be light, powerful, good screen, preferably illuminated keyboard (best=
 thing about the Mac Pro), very Linux compatible, large ram, good cpu, big =
disk, robust. I don&#39;t care about widescreen but nice to have if everyth=
ing else in place.<br>

Thanks in advance for all your comments, and a Happy New Year to all.<br>
Phil<br>
-- <br>
The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<br>
d" target=3D"_blank">http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.<u></u>org/mailman/listi=

--20cf3071c70ce64f5304b5922d3e--