[ltp] Best laptop for Linux

Petter Hansen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 03 Jan 2012 06:59:03 +0100

Den 02. jan. 2012 22:01, skrev Phil Shotton:
> I'm writing this on my trusty old T60p, brought out of retirement after
> a 2-year switch to a Macbook Pro. I've recently trashed the Macbook and
> need a replacement - I won't be going Mac again, even after 2 years I
> find the idiosyncratic keyboard, the poor quality apps, and the lack of
> openness to be a major headache.
>
> So now I'm asking the ltp fraternity, what's the best Linux laptop at
> the moment. I love my T60p, but it's old and slow. I need something that
> has good CPU power and high-res screen (I develop software so need
> compilation speed and screen clarity). I also want good Linux support
> without messing around - the T60p has the Atheros wifi chipset which is
> a pain, and I want good graphics without proprietary drivers.
>
> Doesn't have to be a Thinkpad, but I'm impressed with the build quality
> of the machines I've had in the past.
>
> Must be light, powerful, good screen, preferably illuminated keyboard
> (best thing about the Mac Pro), very Linux compatible, large ram, good
> cpu, big disk, robust. I don't care about widescreen but nice to have if
> everything else in place.
>
> Thanks in advance for all your comments, and a Happy New Year to all.
>
> Cheers
> Phil

Hello and Happy new yaer.

I have this machine T-520 4243-3UG + (total 8 gig ram, Intel 320 ssd) I
first tried to install Ubuntu 11.10, but then it used so much power that
the life of the battery was only 3.5 - 4 hours. (This is kernel 3.0
problem so it is not a distro problem. Take a look here.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_31_power_regress&num=1
Or google a bit around "Power regression Sandy Bridge" chipset.) But
everything functioned without tweak anything. I also use only Intel
graphics, so do not know how it will be with Nvidia graphics.

Now, I use 11.04 (2.6.38-13-generic) with Intel graphics, and everything
works out of the box. 3G works well and battery life is now 7-8 hours.
Idle power consumption is now only 8-10 watts.
"Bootchart" says the maschine boots in 5,5-7 seconds.

Good luck

--
Petter Hansen
Romerike Linux User Group