[ltp] Best laptop for Linux

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 4 Jan 2012 19:42:13 +0100

Am Dienstag, 3. Januar 2012 schrieb Steven J. Owens:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 12:24:18AM +0200, Micha wrote:
> >    I've got a w520 running under Debian unstable. Almost everything
> >    is working great, what's not working will give you some hints as
> >    to what to
>=20
> >    look at:
>      I have a T520, the higher end model with the second-best CPU
> (Intel Core i7-2720QM Processor (2.20GHz, 6MB L3)).
>=20
>      I'm currently running ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric.
>=20
>      The reviews and advice from friends suggested that the i7-2820QM
> wasn't really worth the extra $200.
>=20
>      They also suggested that the i5 in mobile could be sluggish (and
> that mobile vs. desktop performance can be very different, since the
> whole naming scheme is now far more marketing than technical, so a
> mobile i5 is not necessarily related to a desktop i5.).

Well I have the Intel only T520 with i5 and it works really well.=20
Sluggish? I didn=B4t see any sluggish with that machine so far, but that ma=
y=20
also be related to the 300 GB Intel SSD 320 and 8 GB RAM.

It has a smaller power supply than the ones that also have NVidia=20
graphics. And external outputs are mapped to Intel graphics by default. I=20
heard a co-worker being angry at a model with NVidia which has all=20
external outputs mapped to NVidia instead of Intel.

I really can recommend this machine.

I have one with a FHD display of 1920x1080 since I didn=B4t want a 1600x900=
=20
screen where before the T42 already had 1400x1050.

Only cons IMHO are missing eSATA - this is a joke for a laptop priced this=
=20
high! - and missing USB 3 - which is understandable since Intel didn=B4t pu=
t=20
it into the Sandybridge chipset. Within the T520 series you only get eSATA=
=20
by Minidock, ExpressCard eSATA adapter or by buying a NVidia based model.=20
USB 3 is only available on W520.

As a Linux user with no focus on heavy gaming I do not get why I have to=20
buy the NVidia based model to get something so basic like eSATA.

Here Fujitsu Lifebooks are much better equipped - optionally even with a=20
Bluray burner. But the keyboard and the display options, only 1600x900,=20
lacked.

Everything basically works. I did not set up the fingerprint reader. And I=
=20
have some wierd problems with the MMC SD card slot.

=2D-=20