[ltp] Lock HDD on reboot

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:57:03 +0100

Am Dienstag, 17. Januar 2012 schrieb Johannes Bittner:
> Hello,

Hi Johannes,

> I have a Thinkpad X220 with an Intel 320 SSD (which has hardware
> acceleration). When I power on the notebook, it asks me for the
> password. When rebooting however, the disk remains unlocked.

Please note that Intel recommends not to use this feature in combination=20
with a password. Yes, that sounds strange, but so I read it on

=46irmware-Update behebt 8-MByte-Bug bei Intel SSD 320
http://www.heise.de/ct/meldung/Firmware-Update-behebt-8-MByte-Bug-bei-
Intel-SSD-320-1325177.html

(german only, found no translated version at H Open)

Heise talks about risk of data loss, but as far as I can see this related=20
to older Intel SSDs with firmware versions that should be fixed meanwhile.

Here the official intel page which sounds quite a bit differently instead -=
=20
here it is only a hang or a blue screen and only one some platforms

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/X25M/sb/CS-030723.htm

And I read quite some threads where full disk encryption is simply=20
working.

I still use ecryptfs (prior to that encfs, but ecryptfs is way faster) for=
=20
sensitive data.

Anyway, before using that feature if you want to be sure that Intel=20
doesn=B4t have your key do a SSD secure erase in order to replace the=20
default key of the drive by a new random key. But beware, SSD secure erase=
=20
does what it says: By replacing the key it makes all your previous data=20
unaccessible for good.

Puzzled,
=2D-=20