[ltp] [Slightly off-topic] About to buy a second-hand ThinkPad X200....

Christoph Schmees linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 28 Jan 2012 07:18:07 +0100

Am 2012-01-27 23:59, schrieb Paul Seelig:
> On 01/27/2012 09:56 PM, Dick Summerfield wrote:
>>
>> I can't help but worry about these "infamous T4x issues" mentioned by Robert Tomsick...
>> What are they???!!!
>>
> Something for you to read to give you a preliminary idea about why buing
> anything earlier than the rollcage protected T60 is a bad idea:
>
> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=69469
> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=54856

I for one use a very old T40p 2373-G1G and I am still happy with
it. It has run for years mainly 24/7 as my main working machine
on my desk in a docking station, added second display and
external keyboard. It has accompanied me when travelling a lot.
The only repair I had to was exchange the cooling/fan unit
because the fan's bearing was worn out. I have many customers
running T4x machines, and to my experience flexing affects mostly
T42 and T43. Plus user who overload their USB by plugging too
hungry devices (DVB-T; hard-disks; you name them) directly into
the T4x instead of into a powered hub. That's all I have seen of
flexing.
On the other hand, I would strongly discourage the purchase of a
T6x with NVidia graphics controller. That seems to be bound to
fail. T6x with the Intel or ATI graphics seems a perfect choice.

Christoph