[ltp] W510: Alt-SysRq-[REISUB] and safe rebooting

Tom Roche linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 07 Jul 2012 17:32:25 -0400

I have 2 laptops running LMDE (based on debian testing) with 3.2
kernels: an older System76 and a newer TP W510. I sleep (suspend to
RAM) a lot, and both occasionally freeze when restoring/unsleeping.
On these occasions, with the S76 I can restart ~4 times out of 5 with
Alt-SysRq-[REISUB]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#Uses

I.e.,

* I hold down the Alt and SysRq keys while

* typing r,e,i,s,u,b slowly and individually (and in that sequence)

and the system reboots. Only ~1/5 times does that fail, forcing a
hard/cold boot by holding down the power button until restart. Note that
on the S76, SysRq is a "normal key," not a (blue) Fn key.

By contrast, on the W510, SysRq is a (blue) Fn key, and I have never
successfully restarted with either

1 holding down Alt, Fn, and SysRq while typing each of r,e,i,s,u,b

2 holding down Alt and SysRq while typing each of r,e,i,s,u,b

3 holding down Alt, Fn, and SysRq, then letting go, then typing each
  of r,e,i,s,u,b

Is there a way to make this work? Alternatively, is there a better way
to safely reboot a hung W510?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>