[ltp] T60p idle GPU temperature?

Thu, 12 Jul 2012 12:11:11 -0300

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012, Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> > On Mon, 09 Jul 2012, Alex Deucher wrote:

> >> The UMS dynamic clocks option just used a lower clock speed when the
> >> displays were off.  The KMS code does the same thing with both dynpm
> >> and profiles.  KMS uses the GPU a lot more than UMS did (uses the GPU
> >> to accelerate GPU buffer moves, dynamically uses GART, etc.).
> >
> > Hmm, that means something in X.org is keeping KMS busier than it should.
>
> Actually you have to switch to a profile other than default in order
> to clock down when the displays are off.  Try auto.

I've been using the "low" profile... most of the time I need only very basic
performance, just for the composition manager.

> >> It's changing the number of PCIE lanes that causes this.  You can
> >> disable that code (rv370_set_pcie_lanes()).  The host bridge doesn't
> >> seem to like having the lanes switched on it when it's running and
> >> generates the NMI.
> >
> > Nah, it already draws too much power as it is, can't have extra PCIe lanes
> > enabled.  Did you ask any of the Intel regulars for some help with the
> > 915PM?  Or does it happen only on thinkpads, and therefore the thinkpad
> > firmware is to blame?
>
> I don't know if it's specific to thinkpads or not (or even certain
> chipsets).  I've never had the time to debug it in detail.  IIRC, the
> UMS radeon driver has identical pcie lane code.  Did you have similar
> issues with UMS and pcie lane switches?

No.  Either it never switched the number of lanes, or it somehow avoided
whatever causes the Intel 915PM in my T43 to SERR.  If the code is exactly
equal, and it DID change the PCIe link width just like modern KMS does, then
the usermode->kernel mode transition was somehow helpful.

The 915PM/GM errata doesn't have anything directly connected to this problem
at first glance, but I understand little of PCIe to really be sure about it.

  Henrique Holschuh