[ltp] Re: Fastest Lenovo laptop I can get

Fionn Behrens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:37:03 +0200

On 26.06.2012 12:48, Dominic wrote:
> Hey,
>
> doesn't matter how fast your Lenovo is, take care of following: NEVER
> BUY ONE WITH NVIDIA OPTIMUS!!!
>
> If you do, you'll have to mess around with Desktop problems all the
> time. Doesn't matter of bumblebee or whatever try making it work, look
> for a different graphic card.

Cant back up this statement. I have a W520 with optimus and I am very,
very pleased with the overall performance. It works flawlessly and very
good on the Intel Graphics and thanks to ironhide I can use the power of
the nvidia card whenever I feel the need.

I had a T42p with ATI FireGL graphics before and was very, very
displeased with ATIs driver policy which stopped supporting my "old"
FireGL only like 2 years after I bought the Notebook for about $3000!
Spell "let down". Yes there is a free radeon driver but performance and
power saving features didnt ever come even near to what I originally got
with the native driver until I sold the unit after about 5 years.

NVidias driver may be closed source but the performance is great and at
least they dont drop support for "older" chipsets while lots of people
are still using it.

Optimus may need a little love her eand there to get it running
initially, granted. But then you have the best of both worlds available,
which is just great.

Otherwise the i7 quad CPUs are a joy to work with. They can be nicely
cool and low-power but when you need it they become real beasts.

regards,
           Fionn