[ltp] Renewing thermal paste on an X200

Bill Andrus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 13 Jul 2012 12:21:11 -0400

--0__=0ABBF0A9DFCAF3848f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBF0A9DFCAF384

linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org wrote on 07/13/2012 04:22:27 AM=
:

> My X200 with a P8600 Core2Duo is now over three years old and it has
> started to become quite hot when under heavy load (cores max out at a=

> little over 90=B0C, the whole bottom becomes unpleasantly hot). At th=
> same time, the air flowing out appears to be cooler than when the sys=
tem
> was new.
>
> The obvious thing to do is to disassemble the system, clean off the d=
ust
and
> re-apply thermal grease (after removing the old one, of course).  I t=
ook
> a look at the Hardware Maintenance Manual[1, PDF page 112]. It reads:=

> | Before you attach the fan assembly to the computer, apply thermal
> grease, at an
> | amount of 0.2 grams, on the part marked 'a' as in the following
> figure.  Either
> | too much or too less application of grease can cause a thermal
> problem due to
> | imperfect contact with a component. You need to peel the thin film
> off from the
> | rubber 'b'.

Many of the high performance fan assemblies have a rubber thermal trans=
fer
pad for the CPU and the GPU, sounds like this is what the instructions
reference.=

--0__=0ABBF0A9DFCAF3848f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBF0A9DFCAF384

n 07/13/2012 04:22:27 AM:<br>
&gt; My X200 with a P8600 Core2Duo is now over three years old and it h=
as<br>
&gt; started to become quite hot when under heavy load (cores max out a=
t a<br>
&gt; little over 90=B0C, the whole bottom becomes unpleasantly hot). At=
 the<br>
&gt; same time, the air flowing out appears to be cooler than when the =
system<br>
&gt; was new.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; The obvious thing to do is to disassemble the system, clean off th=
e dust and<br>
&gt; re-apply thermal grease (after removing the old one, of course). &=
nbsp;I took<br>
&gt; a look at the Hardware Maintenance Manual[1, PDF page 112]. It rea=
ds:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; | Before you attach the fan assembly to the computer, apply therma=
l <br>
&gt; grease, at an<br>
&gt; | amount of 0.2 grams, on the part marked 'a' as in the following =
&gt; figure. &nbsp;Either<br>
&gt; | too much or too less application of grease can cause a thermal <=
br>
&gt; problem due to<br>
&gt; | imperfect contact with a component. You need to peel the thin fi=
lm<br>
&gt; off from the<br>
&gt; | rubber 'b'.<br>
<tt><font size=3D"2">Many of the high performance fan assemblies have a=