[ltp] UsEing T23 with full (not mini) dock and Linux?

Mike Wirth linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 02:05:56 -0700

--14dae93409a3823a7504c516f8fb

Folks,

I'm currently using an old :-) ThinkPad T23 with a full dock (containing a
SCSI adapter) to run a Fujitsu fi-4750C scanner, running on WinXP SP3 as OS
and Adobe Acrobat Pro 10 as the app. So far so good.

But since the T23 is so wimpy, Acrobat OCR and ClearScan (compression)
processing makes the process take at least 4x as long as just the raw
scanning.  So I'm looking at SANE drivers running under Liinux as a way to
support "network scanning" and offload the OCR and compression from the T23.

So did an install of Ubuntu 11.10 from CD on the T23 with dock, including a
WiFi adapter plugged into a USB port on the back of the dock.  During the
installation process, I was pleased to see that the WiFi card was
recognized and I could establish a network connection so that updates were
downloaded and installed as part of the installation process.

But when the system rebooted, I couldn't get a network connection anymore.
 And the Fujitsu scanner wasn't found either.  Following online help, I
found (using lsusb) that the WiFi card wasn't even seen anymore.  Neither
(via lshw) was the SCSI card in the PCI slot in the dock!  Huh?

Seems like the dock (with all it's USB, etc., bridges may be problematic).
 Has anyone gotten this configuration of T23 with full dock to work?  Which
Linux distro?

TIA,

Mike

--14dae93409a3823a7504c516f8fb

ith a full dock (containing a SCSI adapter) to run a Fujitsu fi-4750C scann=
er, running on WinXP SP3 as OS and Adobe Acrobat Pro 10 as the app. So far =
so good.</div>
n (compression) processing makes the process take at least 4x as long as ju=
st the raw scanning. =A0So I&#39;m looking at SANE drivers running under Li=
inux as a way to support &quot;network scanning&quot; and offload the OCR a=
nd compression from the T23.</div>
th dock, including a WiFi adapter plugged into a USB port on the back of th=
e dock. =A0During the installation process, I was pleased to see that the W=
iFi card was recognized and I could establish a network connection so that =
updates were downloaded and installed as part of the installation process.<=
/div>
ork connection anymore. =A0And the Fujitsu scanner wasn&#39;t found either.=
 =A0Following online help, I found (using lsusb) that the WiFi card wasn&#3=
9;t even seen anymore. =A0Neither (via lshw) was the SCSI card in the PCI s=
lot in the dock! =A0Huh?</div>
es may be problematic). =A0Has anyone gotten this configuration of T23 with=
iv>

--14dae93409a3823a7504c516f8fb--