[ltp] Re: X220 freezes occasionally

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:29:47 -0400

>> I don't know if this is relevant, but I've put my old Intel X25-M G2 SSD
>> in it, so it has an old 32-bit Ubuntu install, and I'm using a PAE
>> kernel to make use of all 8 gigs of RAM (upgraded from stock 2 GB on
>> this model).

BTW, I've been using 32bit distributions on 64bit CPUs for many years
now, and have finally switched to a 64bit kernel (instead of the PAE
kernel I've used all these years).  Not that I noticed any particular
benefits (it's supposedly a bit more efficient), but in the past, using
a 32bit userland with a 64bit kernel has always bumped into bugs
(typically because of "rare" interactions between system-level userland
and kernel, such as between a wifi driver and wpa-supplicant, or between
s2ram and the corresponding kernel code).

        Stefan