[ltp] T61 system board (42w7872)

TuuS linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Jul 2012 00:57:19 -0700 (PDT)

The PCcard assembly isn't part of the system board and you could have easily
transferred (and should have) the assembly from the old board to the
replacement.

Also, the 42w7648 board can indeed run a Penryn class CPU if a modified bios
is used.

In addition, much of the info I've read in this thread about the problems
with the nVidia chips is not accurate. I won't bore you with details, but
this problem (which doesn't effect either of the boards mentioned) has
nothing to do with the soldering, it's a problem internal to the GPU chips.
It was assumed to be a solder problem when amateur repair technicans were
able to revive the boards after reflowing or reballing the chps, but this is
a temporary "fix" (not really a fix at all), and is about as dependable as
when you tap on a blown lightbulb and get it to light up again, sometimes
for a few seconds, sometimes for a few weeks if you don't touch it. The only
way to properly fix the nVidia failure is with a NEW gpu chip, and the
chinese have flooded the market with old chips that have new dates etched on
them, so it's nearly impossible to get a new genuine chip.

If you have one of these 4:3 (non-widescreen) models with a failed nVidia
chip, be very careful, most boards being sold online have been improperly
repaired and will fail. Most people opt for the Intel board to replace it,
it's the only affordable and reliable option since the 4:3 units were
discontinued long before the august 2008 date when the nVidia problem was
solved.

TuuS