[ltp] X220 freezes occasionally

Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:45:06 +0300

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 03:17:55PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > The only problem I've got is that on resume I get a 10 second pause
> > accompanied by some error message:
> >=20
> >   ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=3D0)
> >   ata1: COMRESET failed (errno=3D-16)
> >=20
> > I don't know if this is relevant, but I've put my old Intel X25-M G2 SSD
> > in it, so it has an old 32-bit Ubuntu install, and I'm using a PAE
>=20
> Is your SSD using the latest firmware?  Some SSDs had firmware updates
> that addressed slow detection of the SATA link...

That was it, thanks!

http://blog.cihar.com/archives/2012/07/13/intel-ssd-firmware-update-linux/
helped me boot that Intel SSD firmware update ISO image from a USB flash
disk.

> Is your thinkpad using the latest UEFI/BIOS and EC firmware? ;-)

Apparently not:
* /sys/class/dmi/id/bios_version says "8DET47WW (1.17 )"
* http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=3DDS018807
  says it has version 1.31 (8duj17uc.iso).

When I upgraded the BIOS on my old T61, I tried using grub +
syslinux-memdisk trick to boot the .ISO image and failed, then ended up
burning a CD-R.  My X220 doesn't have a CD drive.  Hm...

Marius Gedminas
--=20
My point today is that, if we wish to count lines of code, we should not re=
gard
them as "lines produced" but as "lines spent": the current conventional wis=
dom
is so foolish as to book that count on the wrong side of the ledger.
        -- E. W. Dijkstra

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C

--a8Wt8u1KmwUX3Y2C--